[Gpdd] Health: Bertie's Condition

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 17:08:11 EDT 2003

Hi Laura,
I'm sorry to hear that Bertie is not feeling
too good. I'm not sure about all your piggie's
symptoms, but some of Bertie's symptoms were
similar to my Brownie Bear's condition when
she was suffering with urinary tract infections
(UTIs). She would cry when she pee'd and I would
collect urine samples from her and see blood
in her urine. Was there blood in Bertie's
urine? Also, my Bear was on an antibiotic called
sulfa-trimeth oral suspension and it seemed
like it would be working, but it would never
fully clear the infection. So, I ended up
taking Brownie to an Exotics-only Vet and she
prescribed an antiobiotic called Baytril. Baytril
was stronger (and nastier tasting) than the other
medicine, but it Worked.

I don't want to criticize your Vet because
I don't know him, but it sounds like he has
given up on Bertie. So, if possible, maybe
you should go to a different Vet. My Brownie
was on and off antibiotics for months, but
she is fine now. So, please don't give up on
Bertie just yet. Also, pure cranberry juice
(no sugars or other stuff added) is good for
the urinary tract, so if possible, syringe-feed
Bertie some of that. Most piggies like the taste
and will take it in willingly.

I hope I have been of some help and I really
hope that Bertie is feeling better soon...
   Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps,
       Leah...Slave to Brownie Bear :-)