[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR - jumping pigs

Louise August laugust at umich.edu
Thu Oct 9 10:41:04 EDT 2003

I always thought of guinea pigs as flat surface creatures, but they've
really surprised me with their ability to jump.

The pig palace has four levels each about seven inches apart (half the
height of a cube panel) with carefully constructed ramps to get between
levels - most of the time they don't bother even using the ramps.

In their large floor-time enclosure, they have a flat topped hidey-house
about eight inches tall. No problem jumping on and off. They seem to be
playing a pig version of "king of the hill" always trying to be the one on
top. They also have an arched tunnel about six inches tall. Not only do
they jump on top but sometimes they take a running leap and sail over it
entirely like a horse going over a fence.

Does anyone else have spring-loaded pigs?

Louise August (Phineas, Delilah, Hilly, Mostly, Panda, and Beeble)

University of Michigan
Research Associate, Center for the Education of Women