[Gpdd] HEALTH - Ivermectin

Louise August laugust at umich.edu
Thu Oct 9 12:49:07 EDT 2003

Here's a cheaper, easier alternative for mite treatment

Ivermectin can be administered orally - usually done that way for horses.
You can buy a horse paste wormer, available at feed stores (or probably the
internet too). Its not very expensive. One brand is Zimecterin (probably
not the right spelling), it comes in a tube.

I've used it for mites in my pet Ratties but not for guinea pigs. You
squeeze out some paste about the size of a grain of rice (this is a
rat-sized dose) and hide it in something yummy. Re-dose once a week until
the itching stops and the scabs are healing. Very effective, pretty cheap,
and way less stressful that trips to the vet.

Hope this helps

Louise August (Phineas, Delilah, Mostly, Panda, Hilly, and Beeble

University of Michigan
Research Associate, Center for the Education of Women