[Gpdd] Re: Announcement:...Lilac, a little girl that no one knew...

Off1Knight at aol.com Off1Knight at aol.com
Sat Oct 11 01:03:07 EDT 2003

I am writing this evening about a very sad thing that probably happens every
day in every pet store or shelter that most of us never even think about yet
is so terribly sad. It cannot help but break your heart. I am speaking of those
little guys that are waiting for homes and are sick. I know many here have an
aversion to pet shops that sell guinea pigs and that is all well and good,
but regardless of your feelings about the establishment as you read on. For the
record, the pet store I speak of is NJ Pets and I am comfortable mentioning
the name since they afforded the little girl I am about to speak of the very
best of care. Last week, my girlfriend Gail and I were in NJ Pets and saw the
cutest little fur ball of a guinea pig God could place on this earth. She was
tiny and had long lilac hair. Gail asked to hold her and in a few moments "Lilac"
was in her hands. She was too cute for words and after a few minutes Gail put
her back in her display case with two other little guys. We noticed that when
she tried to move, she dragged her back legs. So we notified the manager who
said he would look into it. Several days later we went to visit Lilac and she
looked even worse. We spoke to an employee who told us the little girl was
being treated for an upper respiratory infection. We had brought some fresh
parsley for her but management thought it best she didn't have it at that time. I
asked the employee to please give her some extra attention since she was so
sick. We returned in a couple of days and learned Lilac was in the rear of the
store under quarantine. On Tuesday night of this week, Gail and I once again
stooped by to check on the little girl. This time she was in a cage in the front
of the store still under quarantine and obviously her condition having
deteriorated. Now she was sitting in her food bowl, her breathing labored and shaking
slightly every 3 or 4 seconds. Need I say this broke out hearts to see her so
sick and suffering like she was BUT the manager who knew us quite well by
now, said she is still receiving her medication and that might be causing the
shaking. I told her, if there was ANYTHING we could do for this little Lilac,
PLEASE just let us know and it will be done. We offered to buy some Alfalfa hay
for her since she was still a baby but we were told she has all of that right
there. I knew that night when we left, she would be making that trip across the
bridge, but we prayed for her nonetheless. I will admit though, I asked God
to please take her and stop her suffering, she was fighting so hard to live and
clinging to life one breath with no promise of another. Well, tonight at
about 6:30 PM, Gail and I went to see how she was doing. I immediately went to her
cage and she was not there. We saw one of the employees who knew us well and
Gail asked him about Lilac. He said the manager would have to speak to us
about her. The manager told us that she had made the trip over the bridge
Wednesday night. Although I thanked God for taking her little soul and not letting her
suffer another day, I still had a tear in my eye to put is mildly. I think
what really made me feel worse was I had NOT told the manager the last time we
saw Lilac in the cage that if anything happened to her, to please call us and
we would take her and give her a comfortable resting place. The manager said
she held her and showed her what ever she could of human love and caring but it
still just wasn't enough. I couldn't bring myself to ask her what they did
with Lilac for fear I would KNOW for certain how disrespectfully and
unceremoniously she had been discarded. It was no way for such a brave fighter to be laid
to rest, no way at all. So I write here to ask all who read it to know once
there was a little tuff girl named Lilac and though she never had a home she
still found some hearts where she will forever be remembered. I know she never
could contribute to the Poo trail and I don't KNOW protocol when it comes to
being recognized. I do know Ron handles it and would ask him if he could please
give this little girl named "LILAC" some special dispensation and place her
name on the list with a rainbow following it. You see, I failed her once and I
could never allow myself to do it again. If you read this and it has touched
your heart, take a minute now and give your little guy a kiss and let them know
THEY do have a home and someone who loves them every day in every way, and then
thank God for another day with them.

Sincerely,

Joseph C Petrillo, George the guinea pigs father