[Gpdd] HEALTH: loss of fur on her tummy and ovarian cysts

Rebecca Jones rj1571 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 13:43:25 EDT 2003

Hi All

I need some advice please.  I am the very under the thumb slave to two beautiful 4 year old girls, Daphne and Gemma.  I took them both to the vets for a nail trim and a check up as I was worried about Daphne.  A couple of times now I have come to feed them in the evening and Daphne has been asleep and hasn't woken up when I've come in, or opened the door, or put the fresh veggies in the bowl even when Gemma has come trolloping in from her bedroom and I have had to gently talk to her and stroke her to wake her up and its taken her by suprise I was there, which seems totally against the nature of a guinea pig to be taken by surprise by anything - thats how they stay alive in the wild!!

Anyway, the vet checked them both over and found a problem, with Gemma.  She found that Gemma has lost her fur on her tummy and she gave them a good feel and she says Gemma has a cyst on her overies.  She says that they can operate and spay her, but I am not happy about putting my baby through all that.

What does everyone think - what effects will this have on her if I don't put her through surgery - is she in pain, will this shorten her life? She's drinking as normal and Gemma being Gemma eats anything that stands still long enough.

Does anyone think Daphne may have a problem too?  It seems so strange to find her like this, I had them for 12 months before I found out they actually blinked, it was 18 months before I found out they shut there eyes to go to sleep, so to be in a position where I have to wake her up seems odd. Do you think she is going deaf maybe?

Can I just add that I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face after catching up with 10 days worth of digest and reading about that beautiful lilac baby suffering.  I do find I have to run in and out of the pet shop to get my supplies now becuase I would have them all come and live with me otherwise, I can't bear to leave them there.

Beki
Gemma and Daphnes mommy