[Gpdd] [HEALTH] piggy not eating by herself - warning - long post

Bronwyn Gray bgray at windnetcs.com
Tue Oct 14 15:06:19 EDT 2003

Well it has really been a nightmare nearly 3 weeks. 3 weeks ago I noticed my
little girl Holly (she will be 4 in November) had runny eyes. So I took her
to the vet on the Wednesday only to be told the runny eyes were no problem
but the huge lumps in her stomach were. To make the story shorter it was 2
huge ovarian cysts. She was operated on the Thursday and came home Friday.
She did not really pick up over the weekend and was not eating so I took her
back on the Tuesday and he gave me Critical Care and some syringes and told
me to feed her that way. By Friday no better, so back we went. I thought
there was something wrong with her teeth as she kept doing funny things with
her mouth. He had a look and said the back teeth were slightly over grown
(not alarmingly so) and clipped them a little, but not much came off.
So off we went again - well the weekend there was some improvement, she even
ran around our family room - and by Tuesday was starting to munch on lettuce
if I fed it to her. But by Friday morning things were not good again. So
back to the vet who agreed things not good, though nothing obvious as she
was not showing signs of pain and there was no discomfort in her stomach. He
put her on Baytril and suggested I try baby food and Paedialite (sp?). By
Friday night she was so listless. As I climbed on the bed with her I was
sure she was not going to make the night so we slept in the spare bedroom
with the on a towel by my side. She was still with me in the morning and we
went rushing back to the vet who gave her fluid and vitamin shots and tried
to get blood but couldn't after a few attempts and they didn't want to
stress her out anymore than she was.
Well happy to say today, Tuesday, she is much better - she has been wheeking
at me when I wheek at her and she is definitely eating the food I syringe
into her, but she is still not eating by herself. I am trying to tempt her
with favourites by so far nothing. I am hoping it is only a matter of time.
She is running around and fighting me a little again when I feed her. We are
back at the vets on Friday (was meant to go today for the stitches out but
they are done and seeing as she is doing better I thought I would wait a
couple more days).
The reason for this post besides sharing at all with you is to ask for
suggestions in getting this little girl to eat by herself again.

Many thanks for listening - please not if you reply to my email you will get
a notice about asking for permission - this is my spam filter - ignore it as
I check the permissions list frequently and will permit your email to come
through when I see it.

many thanks

Bron and Holly