[Gpdd] [HEALTH] re: loss of fur on her tummy and ovarian cysts

Sandra Park sppark at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Oct 15 16:33:25 EDT 2003

Beki,

My gpig Winter was 2 ~ 2 1/2 years old when she needed to be spayed because
of ovarian cysts.  She has recovered nicely and I hope to have her with me
for several more years.  Gemma is older than Winter was at the time of her
surgery so I understand your concern.  But I have heard of 4 year old sows
that were in otherwise good health being spayed and recovering completely.
The other option is to give her hormone injections of HCG (human chorionic
gonadotropin) which will temporarily decrease the size of the ovarian cysts.
Hormone injections are not a cure but can help prolong the sow's life and
give quality to that life.  The cysts may refill and further injections or
surgery may be required.  Ignoring the cysts will only mean eventual and
most likely painful death.  I had another sow Crystal who was almost 5 when
I rescued her.  She was discovered to have cysts and because of her age and
dubious health, the vet & I decided to let nature take its course.  She was
with me for only a few months before her condition deteriorated rapidly.
She was in a great deal of pain when I chose to have her euthanized.
Because of Crystal's fate, I was determined to do better for Winter when she
developed cysts.

I think it's important to talk over the options with your vet, to make sure
your vet has done numerous successful spays (if you go the surgery route),
and make sure Gemma has pain relief medication after surgery as it is
painful.

Here is a link with some info about spays:
http://guinealynx.info/surgery.html

As for Daphne, she may be deaf -- deafness and blindness both can be found
in gpigs.  I can only recommend that you talk to your vet about her, or find
another vet if you aren't confident in your vet's expertise.

Best wishes and healing wheeks to all,

Sandy and the Tampa Krewe (Taffy, Tiger & Winter; and always remembering
Crystal & Autumn)