[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOUR] re: Timid Piggies

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 16:32:26 EDT 2003

How wonderful to have the Digest back again, and even more wonderful that AOL
users can post as easily as anyone else - thanks team!

Before I lost my beloved five female piggies, I had overcome the problem of
their timidness by letting them come to me out of the cage rather than my
picking them up. When their cage was on a table, I would open the cage door then
sit with my lap right up against it, and place a thick folded towel over the
door and my knees. Then I would offer veggies at the open door,and gradually lure
my babies out. Once they were on my lap, they were fine, and I could cuddle
and pet to my heart's content. When it was time for them to go back in, I would
again just direct them to the door and let them go in themselves.

When I moved them into a hutch on the floor, I just used to open the hutch
and sit cross-legged at the entrance, again with veggies. And again, the three
tamest would wander out onto my lap - they even each had their own particular
spot there!

Now I have five cagefuls, and I don't really have the time to have all the
occupants file out onto me. Some are more "skittish" than others - I am sure it
depends on the pig personality. But I have read that a hand swooping down from
above ressembles a bird of prey to them, so it is best to approach slowly and
gently from the side. Also, it is best to talk soothingly to them as one
approaches - I tend to make that little purring noise they make when they're
contented.

Oh, I nearly forgot - I have recently updated our guesthouse website, and you
can see a little photo of each of our 13 current piggies if you go to the
guinea pig pages of www.serendipity.eu.com - just click on the picture of a
guinea pig! I didn't have room to put everyone's name under each little portrait -
but you could maybe guess who's who!

Debbie and her Dolly Mixtures