[Gpdd] [HEALTH] piggy still not eating or drinking - seen vet

Margi Grant mgrant1 at san.rr.com
Tue Oct 21 23:44:41 EDT 2003

My darling Oreo stopped eating and drinking 2 1/2 weeks ago.  I took her
to the "exotics" vet, and he diagnosed an overgrown molar.  He put her
under and trimmed it, and said there was also a cut from it on her
tongue.  He said she'd be back to eating that night or the next day.
That was Monday 2 weeks ago!  Since then we've been back for antibiotics
the day after surgery(he thought maybe it was infected), and again for a
follow-up visit 4 days after surgery as she was still not eating and I
was keeping her going on water from an eyedropper and syringes of baby
food carrots and applesauce and banana mix with C added.  She had only
lost .01 lbs.  So they said everything looked good and gave me a
canister of Critical Care food mix to feed by syringe, hoping to
stimulate her to eat by herself.  Well, here we are 1 1/2 weeks later,
still won't eat or even drink from her water bottle ( I even tried a
smaller hampster one).  I have to change her bedding several times a day
as her poops are extremely soft and mushy and she doesn't bother to move
to pee or poop anymore.  I can tell she's lost weight, and she's stopped
running around "chuggling" happily.  I can see her front teeth getting
longer and longer as she's not chewing much, and they are not aligned.
I'm afraid soon she won't even be able to eat the CC formula.   If I
wasn't an at-home mom she wouldn't have lasted this long

My heart is breaking and any ideas would be appreciated....I suspect the
vet is also out of ideas, and my husband is losing patience as we're
already $285 into this with no solution in sight.

TIA, Margi