[Gpdd] HEALTH: Oreo Stopped Eating

DebraStory at aol.com DebraStory at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 12:27:04 EDT 2003

Margi Grant & Oreo:

We just went through a similar problem with our male cavy Patches.  He would
not eat or drink for over a week.  I did some research in books and on the web
and found out that antibiotics (some anesthetics too) will cause the
intestinal flora in the cavy to get way out of balance.  The bad bacteria increase and
outnumber the good bacteria in the digestive tract.  I would try
supplementing Oreo's bacteria with some kind of "pro-biotic."  I obtained one from the vet
called "Bene-Bac."  We feed this to Patches twice a day until he started
eating good on his own again.  If you can't get that, some people have tried
yogurt.  One website recommended mashing up a "poop pellet" from a healthy guinea
pig and mixing that with the mash you are feeding your piggy.  It sounds gross,
but they say it helps since it already has all of the necessary bacteria in
the right proportions.  You do have to have a healthy piggie to get one from
though.  The "Bene-Bac" worked quite quickly for Patches when I had almost given
up hope of him surviving.  I also force fed him (with a syringe) mashed up
and moistened guinea pig food pellets along with added vitamin C at least twice
a day. Our prayers and best wishes will be with you and Oreo.  I hope you can
get a hold of some "Bene-Bac" or something similar real soon and that it works
for Oreo as well.  Please keep us informed of your progress.  I have e-mail
filters on, but you can reach me through the digest any time for more
discussion.  Debra, Patches, Peanut, and Pumpkin.