[Gpdd] HEALTH - Stones.....Again??????

Vernon L. Smith eythel at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 27 16:51:26 EST 2003

I know this subject has been discussed tons of times.  But you know how it
is......when your pigger does not have that ailment then you just kind of
skip over that email.

Well, my little Pepper has a HUGE problem.  Pepper really cries when she
pees.  I should have noticed it sooner!  The vet said she had a bad UTI but
she also has FIVE STONES!!!!!  Five, I can't believe it!  If she does not
pass them in 2 wheeks then that means surgery.  My poor little girl.  My vet
said that I had done everything right and it was NOT my fault.  She thought
it was a genetic thing.  She said to NEVER, ever, again feed her spinach,
kale or alfalfa (I knew that).  But she also said to never give her carrots,
any type of lettuce (even romaine), cabbage, watercress, broccoli, cilantro,
celery and turnips.  Also, no extra Vit C (that really surprised me) and NO
yogurt because it containes protein/calcium which can make stones worse.
And no cranberry juice, either!  Also, the darker green the veggie, the
worse it is for pig's with stones!

It's like going against all I have ever heard on this digest!  I am so
confused!  She did say to give her parsley because it is a diuretic and
could help her pass the stones.  I NEED HELP!!  I know some of your pigsters
have had this problem.  Could any of you give me some advice?  Like what
foods I should feed her and what to stay away from?  What meds they were on?
If they had surgery and what was the out come?  Good or bad?  I really need
to know your experiences with this.  Write to me or the digest.  Hopefully,
this can help my little Pepper and maybe some other piggies out there.

I lost a sweet pig about this same time last year (heart attack, I think)
and I just don't think I could stand another loss again.

Warm wheeks and any even a little advice would be so helpful, Janelle