[Gpdd] Re: Misc.---entertainment for piggies

James & Margaret Lynn jimmarg.lynn at juno.com
Wed Oct 29 13:26:40 EST 2003

Bec's comment on hanging empty toilet paper tubes from a string is a
wonderful idea.  The simplest things seem to amuse guinea pigs.

My piggies live in 96 qt. Rubbermaid tubs.  I have a string stretched
across the top and halfway along the string is another string going down
into each cage with a small bell attached.  They love to run up to the
bell and hit it with their nose to make it ring.

This is the one they really enjoy:  I take a sheet of newspaper folded in
half and suspend it from the string going across the top of the cage.
The newspaper hangs down into the cage almost touching the bottom.  The
piggies can get in between the two sides of the paper and they have their
own private little tent.  (They love little dark "hidy" places.)  One
sheet usually lasts about two days before they either tear it down or eat
it.

The other thing I have done (I mentioned this one other time on the GPDD)
is to save the cardboard cartons that hold 12 packs of your favorite
beverage.  Cut a  hole in one end for the entrance and you have an
instant little house where your piggies can hide.  They also seem to
think that this is a great place for a bathroom so after 2-3 days you'll
need to  throw it away and start all over.

Regarding the string across the top of the cage:  Attach an "S" hook to
one end of a piece of string.  Tie the other end of the string to a
strong rubber band and hook another "S" hook to the free end of the
rubber band.  This will make it very easy to attach and detach the string
when cleaning thea cage.

Jim........Koko, Abby, Sassy Suzy, Speedy, and Ginger