[Gpdd] Care: Dogs guinea pigs

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 19:11:25 EDT 2003

Hi
This is a very brief suggestion and not a solution at all, tho I'd sure like to see those piggies at least in a much larger cage as I know you would, too. Can you manage to get one? (Watch out for flimzy contruction! And few, if any, could withstand a determined large dog.)
   As for play and attention. Do you have doors that close tightly and can't be pawed open by the dogs? Get the guys down for play time with your supervision -- you can section off a place for them either thru your own ingenuity or by using pet playyard type fences or something similar. (Be certain that the dog can't get into the room you're in.)
   I've adapted all kinds of things to contain my piggies but which also give them freedom and room to play.
   In fact, this spring, I bought a large plastic molded "wading pool" -- the kind made for young children. At play time I line it with a very large sheet and toss in their toys -- PVC tubes to run thru, brown bags to hide in, a little house, etc.  Actually, I even stick a rectangular litter box in a large brown grocery sack -- folded down around the top for stability -- in there with them. It doesn't keep the sheet spotless (but that sheet is for their use only), but they seem to at least partially use it as a potty spot simply because they like to play in bags.  :) As for the sheet, when they're done I shake I out over my lilac bush, which has tripled in size over this summer.  :)  Truly.
   Ah yes -- that's alo party time for them, parsley, bites of apple, carrots - what ever.
   I have a great cat except that he is not guine pig friendly. When my piggis have their play time I put kitty in the bedroom and tightly close the door.
    Hoping that someone offers further solutions to the small cage situation in particular,

Alge