[Gpdd] (HEALTH) RE: Ear Mites

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 16:01:05 EDT 2003

Alge,
I don't know that I would recommend putting peroxide
in or near a piggy's ear...that just sounds like an
accident waiting to happen.
As far as ear mites go, have you noticed your piggy
doing any digging or excess scratching in the ears or
shaking its head a lot? That's usually a sign of ear
mites. If you don't notice any unusual behavior, then
your piggy may just have excessive ear wax production.
I know my piggy with black ears has more of a crusty
looking junk in his ears than my pink eared
piggies--could just be because the skin cells are
darker.
In his book Piggy Potions, Peter Gurney recommends
putting a few drops of olive oil in the affected
ear(s), massaging a bit and soaking up the extra oil
with a cotton ball. He says do this once a day for two
days, then monitoring for seven days.
I usually clean my piggies' ears with a solution made
for ferrets--I moisten a cotton ball with the solution
and swipe the ear with it, making sure not to push too
far into the ear canal. I think my pigs would go
insane if I tried using olive oil! :-) There'd be a
mutiny in my house!
Hope this helps,
Stacy and the Squee Squad, a.k.a.
Gizmo, Max, serendipity, Maxine Teddy, Oscar and
Willie
In Loving Memory of Felix, who passed over the Rainbow
Bridge in April, 2003