[Gpdd] Health - Pregnant Pig

vze1lt77 at verizon.net vze1lt77 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 19 11:14:04 EDT 2003

Hi to all Pigs and People,

I volunteer with the small animals at the MSPCA in Methuen, MA on Thursday evenings. Yesterday I met a piggie family that had been rescued after having been left in a box in a parking lot at a nearby shopping plaza (what kind of person does such a thing??) The girlie pig of the family is pregnant and I offered to foster her at my house during her pregnancy and until her piglets are weaned. Of course, she is being kept seperate from Penny and Ivy.

I would appreciate any ideas you have about how to create a happy and healthy nursery for her and her piglets, and about proper nutrition for a pregnant sow. She is about one month along according to MSPCA staff. Penny and Ivy who are three months and four months old, eat Oxbow's Cavy food for babies, timothy hay, and lots of fresh veggies. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks and Peace,
Linda