[Gpdd] Re: Little "Fizz"

Julie Chadwick julie.b.chadwick at man.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 05:56:12 EDT 2003

Hello to anyone & everyone who loves piggies!  Is this a US website?  Am I
the only person from the UK who subscribes to it!!?  I am fairly new to
piggies (18months) but in that time I can't believe how attached our family
has become to them.  It started with one, then two and then we had six!
Sadly we lost our beautiful Rex 'Gizmo' (Gizzy as we called him!) a few
weeks ago and it was heartbreaking as he was only 14months and we'd had him
from 5 weeks old.  Now we've got another very poorly piggy "Fizz".  She's
only 4 months and so far has battled with a bad cold, then an inner ear
infection (which she's still recovering from) and now she seems to be having
difficulty in walking properly (she's also had a couple of small fits).  The
best way I can describe it is she looks like an "egg on legs"!  kind of
hunched up when she walks.  She's on baytril & steroids from the vet and at
her worst we syringe fed her food/water every few hours to keep her alive.
She is going to visit "The Cambridge Cavy Trust" this weekend where
hopefully we can get a proper diagnosis on her problems and to decide if
she's going to make it through all this really.  We've also had great
difficulty in finding a vet that has sufficient knowledge about gps ~ we've
tried several - is it the same for anyone else?  Fortunately we found a
Rodentologist on the internet who lives about 30miles away from us and she
has been soooo.... helpful in giving advice.  We've seriously thought about
not keeping piggies anymore as we've been so upset at losing one, but quite
honestly I know we couldn't live without them in our lives now ~ they're
contagious!!
Best wishes Julie
(Manchester UK)
PS : I wish I had to worry about keeping our piggies cool ~ we're struggling
to keep them warm in the wonderful British weather!!!