[Gpdd] CARE

MascaraS23 at aol.com MascaraS23 at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 22:08:00 EDT 2003

>From what I understand some pigs just will never get on. It takes a lot of
patience and persistence when introducing piggies to each other and I think it
is important to really give it all that - keep trying unless you just feel you
have exhausted the possibilities/avenues of introduction.  With Neezle &
Tissey what I did was built a cage out of cubes and for about three weeks I had it
partitioned so that they could see eachother, press there bodies up to one
another, rumble strut, etc. After the first week I began trying to introduce them
via piggy playtime. I basically just let them out in a room that I had pig
proofed (no electrical cords within reach please)  and I had huge mounds of hay
in various locations, lots of hiding places to escape to like those cardboard
tunnels which I believe are called Chubbs..I made tents for them by cable
tieing two grids together and then covering it with a pillow case. I didnt leave
the oom but I also didnt interfere unless things seemed to be going really
poorly. It took a couple of weeks to get them to be civil. Finally it worked: I
had the time to sit about 8 hours with them and finally they cosiied up
together. When I put them back in the cage (a totally "new" cage - revamped, etc) I
still left one grid going down the center as a partial petition and I put piles
of hay all around it. They each had a tent, a food dish and their own water
bottle(they actually still have all this - just makes for less competition)  -
after a while I didnt need the partition anymore. The secret I think is to do
the introduction slowly and always have lots of hay around as a distraction. If
they are busy munching and popcorning they will be less inclined to get
annoyed with one another. Also it is very important that they have a large space
and that each pig has a place it can go to get time away from the other pig.
Good luck to you.