[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR]: Talking to piggies

Jaffe, Merle merle.jaffe at isinet.com
Mon Sep 29 14:33:42 EDT 2003

So happy to have the Digest back in operation.  I know that most of you
would agree that piggies are much smarter than people give them credit for ,
and they are trainable with time and patience. Our 4 year old boar has never
been a cuddle pig, but he will willingly show affection on his own terms.
So, for example, if I say "pet-pet, nice-nice" he will perch on my crossed
legs (me sitting on floor) and turn his head to let me pet both sides of his
face.  He is mostly free-range when people are home and about,  but if I
want him back in his cage then I just need to say "cage-cage, treat-treat"
and he will jump in to get a favorite treat.  Similarly, if I say
"brush-brush" he will run to his brush on the floor and wait to be brushed
(which he loves).

He also has me trained -- if he hasn't had his veggies at his normal time,
he jumps in his cage and rings his bell until I comply!

Ligthning and Slave