[Gpdd] <topic and subject required>[Health] Parsley and Kale

METER DAVID maverik71 at msn.com
Tue Sep 30 14:46:23 EDT 2003

 Someone wrote in about Parsley. This cocerned me.
Many websites suggest feeding Parsley and/or Kale daily.
So I called a local vet that deals with exotic pets and with the local zoo.
He said Parsley and Kale should NOT be fed in LARGE amounts daily.
It has to do with the fact that they have calcium. Large amounts
of calcium can cause health problems for guinea pigs. He did say I can give
very small amounts of Parsley daily but in small amounts. I had also read
(on a web page) that you should feed them a cup of fresh vegies daily.
The vet said he felt this was too much.

p.s. I just want to say how sorry I am to hear about all your sick piggies
and ones who have passed. When I read the gpdd I can feel your love for
each of them. I truly believe we are lucky to have each other-guinea pig and
devoted slave.

Eleanor and Crackers
(Plus all the other critters in our home)