[Gpdd] [MISC] <sad thing happened at work>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 12:02:01 EDT 2004

I work part time at a petstore as a cashier. When people come up to pay I usually ask them what kind of pets they have, etc. (And of course I tell them about Piglet and Pooh Bear when they have gpigs) However this one man came up with some gp food, other items, and a big bag of cedar chips (the smell of which made me sick - of course, I was feeling sick that day already). I was immediately worried but I tried to casually and innocently ask him 'you don't bed the gps on the cedar, right?' And he shrugged and nodded 'yeah, I do.' And I said, again trying to be polite, 'oh, actually the phenols from the cedar chips are very bad for gps respiratory tracts, small animals can get really sick from them. We also carry aspen chips or even pine chips which are inexpensive and are ok to use.' And he got out his credit card and shrugged, and even though there was a line I was like 'Do you want me to run and get one of those for you?' and he's like 'no' and swiped his card and paid and left. I
 wanted to throw something at him.

I kept thinking of a woman and her daughters who came in a few months ago with a cold, dying hamster who had been bedded on cedar chips for three months. Apparently the "care sheets" we hand out to customers suggest using cedar chips as bedding for small animals. And it's not like anyone at the store could change these care sheets - we're a chain, afterall, and
someone would have to convince someone in ‘corporate’ to change the thousands of sheets they must ship out every day. Meanwhile, people working in the small animals dept. apparently neglect to tell customers about important information like this. It just pisses me off.

Lauren, Piglet and Pooh Bear