[Gpdd] re: [BREEDING]

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 13:29:00 EDT 2004

Hi Erica,
I'll give you some links that should be helpful, but first let me give you a few quick tips:

   do NOT breed a sow if she is older than 6-8 months and has NEVER BEEN BRED BEFORE (excuse the rude caps, I'm just trying to emphasize!) At this age, if never before bred, a pig's pelvic bones will start to fuse together making it almost impossible to give birth - virtually guaranteeing death for the mother and her unborn fetuses.

   the typical gestation period is about 60-70 days

   young guinea pigs should be weaned and the boys seperated from the girls at about 3 weeks of age, because at this time the males may be capable of breeding with ANY female.

   to determine gender, apply light pressure just above the genital area (looks like a "bellybutton"), and the male's penis will pop out, if it is a male. Cavyspirit has a good site on determining gender - www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

   young guinea pigs and pregnant/nursing gps will need higher levels of calcium, protein and vit. C in their diets. Feed them alfalfa for the calcium and protein. When the young pigs become six months old, gradually reduce the alfalfa hay and instead give them a grass hay like timothy or wheat or brome. Normal adult pigs one year and older (if not pregnant or nursing) should have grass hay.

Anyway, here are the links I promised you. I would read up on the subject before deciding if it's what you want to put yourself and your pigs through. There are many people who feel strongly about whether or not people should breed, but if you are going to breed your pigs, then just make sure you are doing it safely and with as much info as you can find.

http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/breeding.html

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/

http://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

http://www.comfycavies.com/Info%20Pages/Breeding/breeding1.htm