[Gpdd] Hydronephrosis

Tex texg at cavyinfo.com
Sun Apr 4 20:35:11 EDT 2004

Hi,

I saw your post in the GPDD asking about hydronephrosis. This is a
condition where the kidneys become fluid-filled, sometimes forming cysts,
and cease to function properly. It usually results in chronic or acute
renal (kidney) failure.

If only one kidney is affected, the piggie will be able to lead a normal life.

Kidney failure is relatively common in elder piggies (we have lost a number
of them to it). Unfortunately, the management techniques used for cats and
dogs (subQ fluids, epogen [hormone] therapy, etc.) are rarely not effecive
on piggies, as by the time a guinea pig shows signs of kidney failure it is
usually already too late for a management technique to work.

The symptoms include loss of appetite and an increase in water intake.
Sometimes renal failure is preceded by an infection such as a major abscess
or pneumonia. It is diagnosed accurately by a blood test, and in advanced
stages can be detected as excess protein in the urine via a dipstick
urinalysis.

There is really no way to prevent kidney disease other than giving a piggie
a healthy lifestyle: the best food and living conditions and some exercise.

Tex