[Gpdd] Health Drooling piggy

Michelle Paschall PASCHALL at qualexphoto.com
Tue Apr 6 13:32:39 EDT 2004

I had a piggy with the same problem.  I went to a couple of vets before
i got a correct diagnosis.  He had overgrown molars from a jaw defect
that was keeping him from wearing down his teeth when eating. This is
pretty common in pigs.  It is usually a result of poor breeding.  A good
exotic vet will check for this.  They gave him smztmp antibiotic (pink
liquid) because the teeth had grown into his cheek.  Then they put him
under with gas and trimmed his teeth.  I had to feed him food softened
in a blender and get his teeth trimmed every 3-4 weeks for a few years.
This vet wanted to charge me $250 + for each teeth trimming but I found
a vet who would work with me and I only had to pay $35.00.  I would find
an experienced vet and have them look to see if this is the problem.
Hopefully it is not and you just have a messy piggy.  It is something
that needs to be looked at right away though because if she has teeth
problems she may not be eating enough to stay alive and the teeth can
grow into her cheek and form an abcess.

Michelle