[Gpdd] (Behavior) piggy sounds and resistance!

Carrie Mazza mazza_carrie at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 7 00:41:21 EDT 2004

Sugar makes that same soft "mini sqeak" type noises as he pops and walks around his play area on the floor...I think it is a sign of contentment and a general..."life is good" sound.  As for your little one's resistance to being picked up and the biting....I have had a similar experience with Sugar.  Sugar still chatters at me and tries to escape me getting him out of his cage, although once he is out and in his play area or getting a carrot from me he is happy.  I am starting to use a small towel to cover him which seems to slow him down for the second it takes to swoop him up from his cage.  It may seem deceiving or mean, but he needs to be held and let out for his own good so I feel like it is the least disruptive way  He just gets so worked up and aggressive (that's what the teeth chattering means) when I try to get him out that I feel that is more traumatic than being covered with a towel.  Sugar knows me so well, that he even started chattering at me when I stuck my face in the door when he sensed I was coming to get him and not just bringing treats.  He has slowly started to mellow (4 months old now) and calmly sit and now sleep in my lap.  I think it just takes time...and always having a special treat (something they don't get regularly or in the cage) I think can help! Hang in there...I think all piggies have their personality (I never went through this same aggression with my gp as a kid) but with time and consistent contact, like any animal or human for that matter...they warm up!

Carrie