[Gpdd] HEALTH: KayTee Pellets and Ethoxyquin

texg at cavyinfo.com texg at cavyinfo.com
Fri Apr 9 10:12:28 EDT 2004

I saw some posts regarding the new KayTee timothy pellets. Keep in
mind that nearly all KayTee products contain a preservative called
ethoxyquin. I believe that the timothy pellets contain it as well -
but I have to check the ingredients again before I will say with
certainty.

For anyone that doesn't know what ethoxyqin is, it is a preservative
that has been known to cause kidney damage and tumors in rats (and
other problem in mice); The FDA called for its removal from dog food,
and it is *not* approved for human use. Check out the articles on
Guinea Pigs Online:

http://www.guineapigs-online.com/html/ethoxyquin.html

There are links to articles presenting both sides of the story, and
it is interesting to note that the defender of ethoxyquin's use is
employed by KayTee.

There is much speculation as to whether or not it is harmful, but
until it's *proven* to be safe, I'm limiting my piggies' exposure to
it as much as possible.

Products that are ethoxyquin-free are offered by both Americal Pet
Diner and Oxbow Hay.

Read the articles and make your own decision!

Tex