[Gpdd] re: [HEALTH] Excessive drinking help!

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 13:44:20 EDT 2004

Excessive drinking can be a sign of some illnesses like diabetes (the type more common in older, overweight animals) or kidney problems (also usually only occurring in older pigs). However, compared to most of the other animals I've had experience with, gpigs normally drink a lot of water. They also drink more if they are not getting any water through fresh veggies in their diet.
I think different pigs have different taste when it comes to pellets. Have you tried using a different brand? (DON'T bother with those fattening seed mixtures) However, gpigs shouldn't eat much pellets anyway, probably only about 1/8-1/4cup daily. They should always have a constant supply of green, yummy-smelling grass hay.
If you don't give Gertie a vitamin supplement, and you don't think she is eating her food, you need to give her fresh veggies daily that are high in vitamin C, an important vitamin that gpigs can't produce.

Did her "Squeak" almost sound like a "chirp"? My pigs do this occasionally but I don't know why or what it could mean. Maybe they just do it because they can. I have heard some people describe it as "singing -" so maybe Gertie was just singing along with you!!!

Wheeks,
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh Bear