[Gpdd] HEALTH: skin problems

Laura lauramelville at comcast.net
Thu Apr 15 07:03:56 EDT 2004

Hi all!!  I've been a member for years, but do not post too often.  I'm having a serious problem and need help on what to do next.

Before Christmas, Phoebe began to lose hair on her sides.  From other postings, this seemed to be related to ovarian cysts rather than an actual skin problem.  It didn't seem to affect her in any way, so I let it be for the time being.  A month later she began to lose hair elsewhere and it was obvious that she was scratching (her cagemates were unaffected).  I took her to the vet, where they ran all kinds of tests (ovarian cysts, fungal, ringworm, mites), everything was negative.  However, we chose to do oral doses of ivermectin - because it was obvious something was going on - and it's how all of my pigs have been treated with a skin problem.

Phoebe has had 6 doses of ivermectin, it hasn't helped.  As a matter of fact she continues to get worse.  Molly & Abby (her cagemates) are now starting to lose hair as well (Phoebe was quarrantined from them while taking the treatments).  I've tried the Neem Oil treatment on Peter Gurney's website, but it has made the situation worse.  I can run my hands through these pigs hair and it comes off in my hands.

All three pigs act fine, they eat well, play and such.....they're just going bald.  I plan on calling the vet again, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions before I do that.  I didn't know if the ivermectin in shot form would be a better choice or not.

Thanks!!!

Laura
Phoebe, Molly, Abby, Lucy, Lily, BJ and Tweek