[Gpdd] Skinny pigs

robyn ferguson robyn_ferguson at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 15 21:00:38 EDT 2004

Hi Vanessa!

Sorry to hear your pig isn't well. I'm not sure if the treatment I used for
Lucy would be suitable for your little fellow, as this was done to treat an
stomach blockage similar to a hairball, which was stopping her from eating
properly. However I can give you some tips on building up a pig that has
lost weight. Lucy lost a LOT of weight because she was on soft foods for so
long that her teeth overgrew and so she had to stay on soft foods even
longer, and then she got used to the soft food and wouldn't eat anything
else .... AARGH! The good news is she has rediscovered real food recently
and is putting on weight like a little champion. Which brings me to tips for
you...

Banana is a very sugary, starchy food with lots of energy. It's also very
easy to eat, being soft. Some pigs don't like banana, but keep offering it
as he may give it a try and change his mind.

Corn. My vet suggested corn, in the form of corn on the cob, defrosted corn
niblets etc as another starchy, high energy food to aid weight gain. I
didn't see Lucy taking to corn on the cob as her teeth were still a little
dodgy at the time, so I bought some baby corn spears (like for stir fries).
You can get them in the fresh produce section (the fresh ones, not the
tinned ones) and she loved them.

Sunflower seeds are quite good too, being fatty. Just be sure to get the
ones that have the black husk taken off as the husks can be a choking
hazard.

Apart from these, make sure he has lots of hay, to keep him interested. I
know lucerne (alfalfa) has a higher calcium content and has been linked to
an increased risk of bladder stones, but my vet is a big fan of it for
recovering pigs, just for a little while and accompanied by lots of grass
hay, like timothy.

Another thing, everybody avoids the seed/pellet mixes. Why? Cause they're
high in fat and protein. Perfect for a skinny piggie!

Hope all this helps. Feel free to email me off list anytime if you want
anymore info!

Robyn