[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: "Topics"

GPDD Admin gpdd_admin at gpdd.org
Fri Apr 16 21:50:08 EDT 2004

Hello all,

Yes, we're bringing up "that rule" again. The main reasons we created the
Topics rule were so that messages would be easier to look up in the
archives, and to make it possible for people to enable "selected topics
only" for individual message delivery of the GPDD.

All in all, everyone has been very good about adding a Topic to the subject
line of their posts. BUT - you need to have a descriptive title too! If you
don't add a description, there is still confusion:

A post that says "Health: Re: Gpdd Digest, Vol 3, Issue 122" or "Care:<Add
your Subject Here>" or "Misc" is not very helpful when someone is searching
for information, or just taking a quick peek at the day's titles to get an
idea of what's in today's Digest.

The good news is that very few posts don't have a full Topic/Subject title.
The bad news is that going forward, the messages must have a full, proper
Topic/Subject header. Up to this point we've been accepting messages that
only have a Topic label, but we are no longer going to be able to do that.
Those messages that don't have both the Topic and a short descriptive title
of the post will be returned to the author for proper labeling.

On a similar note, you probably notice that sometimes a post gets published
that *doesn't* have a Topic label. There's a good explaination for this:
our Moderators are human (thank goodness!), and sometimes one slips past.

Last, on a somewhat different subject: we have been considering adding a
"Rainbow Bridge" topic header to the list of accepted topic labels. A few
people have mentioned that they would prefer to see posts about piggies
that have passed on get their own Topic label. Unless there is widespread
objection, we will add this Topic label to the roster. This is one Topic
that has been used a lot, much to everyone's sadness.

That's it for now. Thank you for being part of the GPDD - we're up to over
800 members and growing!

The GPDD Team