[Gpdd] Re: [HEALTH] eye allergies

Aurae rubberduckychan at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 16:28:41 EDT 2004

Rachelle,

I am new to this list, but I owned a guinea pig for
seven years and will be shortly welcoming another into
my care after three years of my mother's "break from
pets," and I think I can answer your question
regarding the corncob bedding.

When Beethoven was alive, he lived on corncob bedding,
because I am extremely allergic to all wood-shaving
beddings and at the time safe small-animal
non-wood-shaving beddings (with the exception of
corncob bedding) were rather expensive--we just didn't
have the money.  Corncob bedding does not cause feet
irritations.  The only qualm I ever had with the
bedding was when the local store I purchased it from
stopped carrying "large" corncob bedding.  The
extremely small pieces of "small" corncob bedding
would sometimes attach to Beethoven's penis
(obviously, he was male), and although he never
actually seemed to mind I worried that it would cause
him discomfort and carefully brushed it off whenever I
happened to notice that had occured.  That is the only
real reason I can see that corncob bedding would
irritate your guinea pig, and that certainly doesn't
involve his feet.  n_n

Also, corncob bedding absolutely requires being
changed frequently, or else it begins to decompose
wherever the animal has urinated or whever the
water-bottle has dripped.  Other than that, it was
fine.  It really isn't as harsh as it looks.  n_n  I
plan on trying other kinds of bedding when I get
Napoleon, but I would not hesitate to use corncob
bedding again.

~ Ducky
(and soon-to-be-acquired Napoleon <3)