[Gpdd] MISC: Wheather Report

Susan Eastin susan at boatlift.com
Wed Apr 21 16:00:41 EDT 2004

Hi Alge-
You said you like to read about piggie exploits?
Here's one for you! As I reported to Leah earlier,
we here in Okie country were visited yesterday
evening by our usual spring weather - tornadoes.
I didn't worry too much til the local weather guy
reported one on the ground west of Tulsa (headed
our direction!), then others just north and NW of
us. So I grabbed a bag and threw a few vital items
in it, which soon included piggie items, like a
day's worth of pellets and hay, a water bottle,
vitamins, bag of fresh veggies, towels, etc.
When the sirens went off I grabbed the pigs and
stuffed them into their carriers (LW took his
teddy bear) and ran for the car. By now the rain
was coming down in sheets, the wind felt like
gale force, and the sky was an eerie orange.
As I drove toward my son's (and the only storm
cellar I knew of in the area), it was nearly
impossible to see the road, but I knew where
I was going, so we kept on. (All securely strapped
in with our seatbelts, of course! I always wrap
the belt around and over the carrier to keep
them safe) As we got there, my son helped grab
things and we ran down into the cellar, joining
a dozen others waiting it out by candle light.
Soon the piggies became the highlight of the
evening, the stars of the show. We were joined
by yet another dozen, bringing a couple wet cats
and a couple small dogs. All but one cat were
very impressed by the OP's, and he was just so
miserable to be so wet and away from foodandhome,
he didn't care who else was there!
After a while the storm passed and we emerged,
no damage done locally, just very wet. We said
our goodbyes and headed home, anxious to make
up lost floortime and catch up on treats.
And all very thankful to be safe! We now plan
to keep an emergency bag at the ready, and are
reminded of Joseph's (George the Guinea Pig's Father)
wise words last year as to preparing for fire or
other emergencies. Can we get these repeated?
Its that time of year, we should all take a moment
to make a plan, even if we just lose electric power
for an evening.
Here's to Safe Pigs everywhere!
Susi and the Okie Piggies
Snowy, CocoPuff and Lil' Whistle