[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <The Effects of Neutering on Impaction?>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 14:40:07 EDT 2004

Hi Ducky,

I had not heard this before you mentioned it so I've been looking up some info. It seems that for some boars, neutering (castration) may reduce their risk of anal impaction.

First, some anatomy (I'll try to keep this PG! But it's important to know): Gpigs have a "perineal sac" in the anal area which catches the softer, nutritious "caecal" poos as they move through the rectum, allowing the normal, harder fecal poos to be excreted. The caecal poos are later pushed out of the perineal sac to also be excreted via the rectum and re-ingested by the gpig for its nutritional benefits.

However, "anal impaction" occurs when caecal and sometimes fecal poos are not excreted, and these poos along with other materials clog up the perineal sack. This most commonly occurs in older boars whose anal muscles have atrophied or weakened and the perineal sac has softened. In this case the pig may be unable to excrete fecal and/or caecal poos, and both may become clogged or "impacted" in the perineal sac.

Anal impaction can also occur because the perineal sac is a collection spot for junk - hay, bedding, hair and the sebum which is secreted by males in the two sebaceous (oil) glands located at the perineal sac. Young boars who are fond of rubbing their butts and marking their scents everywhere are at more of a risk for this type of impaction. One site I found reccomended checking your boars monthly for impactions especially if they are older or are frequent butt-rubbers.

>From what I can gather, the reason neutering may reduce the risk of impaction in some males is because this may cause them to secrete less of the sticky sebum, which can contribute to blockages. What I couldn't find out was whether neutering has an effect on the atrophy of older males' anal muscles and/or the softening of the perineal sac, which is apparently the most common cause of anal impactions.

In the case of anal impaction, usually the perineal sac must be cleaned out, even daily among older boars with weak anal muscles, with a Q-tip and some mineral oil (and gloves and a gas mask and a lot of love, lol). The caecal poos should either be fed to the gpig or instead the pig should be administered B-vitamin and probiotic supplements to replace the poos' nutrition. If untreated, the impaction may back up to the kidneys or other organs and cause infections and/or eventually lead to death.

Well this is a lot of info. I just learned about it today, and maybe others will help me out by revising any of this info or commenting. I hope this helps somebody - I know I feel better knowing about it at least.

Happy wheeeeks,
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh

p.s. You aren't named after that Land Before Time character are you? OMG I love that movie :-). But only the first one not the fiftythousand sequels!!