[Gpdd] [Health] Pig Period?

Lisa B cavylover74 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 17:55:55 EDT 2004

No this isn't a wacky question, otherwise you wouldn't know the answer if you didnt' ask.  It would be more wacky if you didn't ask any questions.
Sows do not menstruate.  They may have a bladder or uterine infection, or a stone.  Are either one of them pregnant?  Do you know where the blood is coming from?  Is the blood on their hair anywhere?  Does it happen after you clip their nails and you may not realize it?  Just a few thoughts I am throwing at you.
I would take them to the vet just to be safe because they really shouldn't be bleeding from down below.

Lisa

I have what seems like a wacky question. Do piggies menstruate? Loretta and
Olive came to me about two months ago from the humane society and this
morning, for the third time since I have had them, I found a few spots of
smeared, dried blood on their toweling. I have checked them, as well as
their cagemate Penny, from head to toe for any sign of a wound or cut or any
other reason for bleeding and I can find nothing. I would appreciate any
information you may have. Thank you!
Peace,
Linda