[Gpdd] RE: HEALTH...Neutering effects on impaction

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Wed Apr 21 18:59:48 EDT 2004

Hi Ducky,
	I have also read that neutering can lessen the severity of
impaction.  I currently have one boar that I had neutered because he has
a mild impaction problem.  He required "help" every few days.  Since
being neutered, he rarely needs help.  Sometimes, I find a little clump
of poops that are formed together, but it's only the size of a marble.
I had an elderly rescue boar who required twice daily cleaning...each
time I would get a GOLF BALL sized mass of both kinds of poops.  It was
terribly stressful on him when I had to do this.  That's why I decided
to have this current boar neutered...I couldn't imagine letting him get
to that stage!
	The theory behind neutering helping to reduce impaction (or
prevent it completely if done in a young boar BEFORE impaction symptoms
occur) is that the larger scrotum and weight of the testicles stretch
the anal muscles required to push the poops out.  As the boar gets
older, the muscles and that area in general become more stretched and
less able to do their "job".  As you can imagine, a neutered boar has no
"testicle weight" and the scrotum actually shrinks because it has
nothing to "house"!  Well, this is how I understand it anyway!  Since
the boars are relatively simple to neuter, I plan to have this done on
most if not all rescue boars who come in...though that unfortunately
depends on money, ultimately.  It also GUARANTEES that those will not be
reproducing!

Michelle Melaragno
Whistle Ridge Guinea Pig Rescue
Auburn, ME