[Gpdd] HEALTH: Shaggy not eating

DebraStory at aol.com DebraStory at aol.com
Thu Apr 22 20:59:32 EDT 2004

Rachel -- I was sorry to hear about Shaggy not eating after his antibiotic
treatment.  My Patches had the same problem after his antibiotic treatment.  His
intestinal flora was probably destroyed by the antibiotic.  When the good
bacteria in the intestine is killed, the food will not digest properly and the
guinea pig stops eating.  Sometimes they even get diarrhea.  You have to give
them a probiotic to replace their good bacteria.  You can get these from the vet
in a paste form and give them some about twice per day.  If you have a Farm
and Fleet near you, you can buy the paste in tubes there as well (in the horse
supply section).  In a pinch you can even use yogurt.  Get some probiotic down
him as soon as possible, because guinea pigs will die quickly from not
eating.  Good luck and healing wheeps for Shaggy.

Debra, Patches, Peanut and Pumpkin