[Gpdd] re: [HEALTH] <pig period?>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 13:25:25 EDT 2004

Hi Linda,
Menstruation only occurs in humans and certain other primates. Other mammals experience "heat" or "estrus" cycles, but unlike us, if no fertilization occurs the uteral lining is instead reabsorbed by the body. I have heard of some cases, they may just be urban legend, of domesticated animals on unnatural diets being induced to hemmorhage the lining, like we do during menstruation, instead of reabsorbing it. However, I would be more concerned that your pigs' bleeding may be caused by bladder stones or something more serious. I would check with a vet.
Best wishes,
Piglet, Pooh Bear and Lauren