[GPDD] (MISC) re: Pet Disaster Plan

Renee Roszkowski rrgallop44 at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 23 12:09:27 EDT 2004

	Hi All! There's been much talk of tornados and disaster plans. I
just thought I'd throw my two cents in. Right now my husband and I and
the "kids" live in an apartment in Chicago. I don't really have a
disaster kit for around here. I do leave their carriers assembled and
accessible in case there is a fire or other problem and they need to be
contained. But, we are all moving up to Kodiak Alaska in June. My
husband is in the Coast Guard and is being transferred there. Kodiak is
an island in the "curve" below Alaska. They experience regular
earthquakes and can even get tsunamis there (mile high waves generated
by earthquakes in the ocean). I've already put together some lists for
supplies I want to have together and ready in case there is a disaster.
I think you disaster kit varies for the area you live. Around Chicago,
there are so many stores and places even outside of the city that we can
get supplies that I don't really have a kit. Plus, we aren't really
prone to disasters here. Maybe the occasional snow in April, but not
really disasters. I always make sure that I have food for my pets, and
that I don't wait until the last minute to get food, so the containers
are empty. But, in areas where there are disasters, that's different.
>From what I've read, for pets you should have a minimum of 3 days of
food and water (for piggies I would keep some hay cubes around). Bottled
water is the easiest. Just grab their water bottles and whatever they
have in them and add to them. A bag of bedding, a travel cage or carrier
(for all pets), a harness (for dogs and cats so they can't slip out of
their collars), extra leash(es), poop bags and cleanup supplies (you can
use a Rubbermaid tub for an extra litterbox for cats) and a few toys and
treats to make them feel more comfortable. Humans should have a kit with
food, water, extra set of clothes and shoes, and a few other things like
toilet paper, etc. You should have a first aid kit too. Everything could
be stored in a Rubbermaid container or something like that. Make sure it
isn't scattered or too heavy so it is easy to "grab and run".
Personally, in a disaster, I'm more worried about my animals than
myself. You should also have the name and number of the vet(s), any
hotels that allow pets, boarding kennels, and you could even see if
hotels will allow pets during an emergency or disaster. You could add
more to the kits, depending on how disaster prone your area is.  Just
thought I'd share. Anyone else have kits?

Renee and Paul, Mary and Molly and Patches (piggies), Kate and Dora
(ratties), Flash (Basset Hound)

Renee Roszkowski
Independant Beauty Consultant
www.marykay.com/ReneeRoszkowski