[Gpdd] Re: [MISC] Back Again

Aurae rubberduckychan at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 00:12:10 EDT 2004

Laura,

I happen to live in Illinois, and coincidentally
I have a mother and father with complete rule
over me as well, although this summer I turn
eighteen and then all hell shall break loose.
(Or not--I'm rather meek.)

As for the Oxbow issue, my mother feels the
same way.  Tonight we went to the pet store to
pick up food and Timothy, which were the only
things I didn't yet have for Napoleon, who
arrives tomorrow, and I saw Oxbow Timothy and
insisted on purchasing that brand.  My mother,
of course, who does NOT particularly care for
the care and keeping of a guinea pig, but will
constantly be trying to spoil it rotten and
dote over it when she thinks I'm not looking,
was complaining about the price.

What you need to convince your parents to
listen to you depends on your parents' individual
dispositions.  For example, I know that my
mother responds most positively to well-
constructed arguments presented in a discussion
manner, while my father just needs to be sweet-
talked since I'm his only daughter and by nature
he enjoys purchasing things.  Think about times
in the past where you have had to convince your
parents of something.  What worked?  What didn't?
This is often unique to each parent--keep that
in mind.

No matter what style of persuasion works for
your parents, keep in mind that strong support
points are key for any persuasive argument.
Look things up.  Research what makes Oxbow brand
worth the extra money.  To parents, "All the
other guinea pig people online say that Oxbow is
the best," will NOT cut it.  You need concrete
proof.  Think about the reasons you think Oxbow
is best for your guinea pig, and then elaborate
and explain so your parents can have an idea of
why this is important to you.

Also, make sure you are calm and collected.  You
don't want to make it like a temper-tantrum, you
said, so be careful to chose your words wisely
and remain calm during the discussion.  Yelling,
pouting, or other immature behavior will gain
you no brownie points and get your guinea pig no
Oxbow-brand products.  If your parents refuse to
discuss the matter and respond favorably, wait a
bit before bringing it up again.  Nagging, at
least for my parents, has always producted

Also, try to think of "bargains" you could
arrange with your parents.  Do you have a job?
Do you get an allowance?  Is there anyway you
could pay for a portion of the product, perhaps
paying the difference?  Obviously, you would
like your parents to pay for the entire thing,
but if getting Oxbow products mean that much to
you, there may be sacrifices.  You need to
consider what lengths you are willing to go for
Pepper.

Basically, this is not an instantaneous thing.
Changing other people's minds, especially those
of one's parents, takes time and patience and
lots of careful planning.  Take it one step at
a time--research, plan what you shall say, try
to carefully bring up the discussion, discuss,
and, if necessary, repeat the process until you
get the results you desire.  Even if your parents
seem extremely stubborn, they can be quietly worn
down if you go about it in the corrent manner.

The exotic-pet vet should be dealt with in the
same manner.  Also, try not to bombard your
parents with requests for a better vet and better
supplies at the same moment.  Take small steps.

There is a psychological term called the foot-in-
the-door phenomenon, which states that a person
who agrees to a small request is more likely to
later agree to a larger request.  Use this to
your advantage.  Ask for something small that is
something extra for Pepper.  Then, maybe a week or
two later, ask for something a little bit more.

Although veterinary care is vital, I would work
my way up to that as the "biggest" request,
because switching vets is tiresome and has the
potential to be most expensive.  Also, before you
request a switch, do reasearch on the vets in your
area who know a good deal about guinea pigs and
could thus treat Pepper the best.

Keep in mind that this is a gradual process.  You
will not get results overnight.  However, when
executed properly, this method produces favorable
results.  I should know, I've persuaded my own
parents this way many a time.  n_n  I hope this
was of some assistance~!

~ Ducky
(Napoleon arrives tomorrow!)