[GPDD] (MISC) re: Pet Disaster Plan

Susan Eastin susan at boatlift.com
Tue Apr 27 14:51:51 EDT 2004

Hi Renee-
Wow - that is great, as was your advice to Laura about her
paretns. And Chicago to Alaska will be a very big change
for you! You know we have gpdd member in Alaska, and I
have a friend (from Peoria!) who now lives in Alaska as
well. Both on the Kenai Peninsula.
One thing I would add to your disaster notes (excellent!).
All 50 states have experienced tornadoes, though they are
definitely more likely in some. Having family and friends
in Illinois, I have made many trips back and forth, often
in the late spring/early summer when such weather is common.
There have been several times when I either leave tornadic
weather in Oklahoma only to run into it in Illinois, or
even leave good weather here and run into bad weather
there! I remember one year when tornadoes had done some
serious damage just south of Chicago, but friends I was
visiting still remarked on our 'Tornado Alley' dangers!
I think the secret is to be prepared for anything, and
I've seen several gp books that listed supplies to have
on hand. As you say, several day's supply of what you
use every day, together so you can grab it quickly and
contained in something waterproof so it doesn't get
ruined. That night as I ran to the shelter with the
piggies and belongings, I got soaked to the bone.
We should include any other pets as well, though I don't
expect to be hauling my fish to the 'fraidy hole!
Wheeks to all-
Susi and the Okie Piggies