[Gpdd] [Health] Kinda gross

Lisa Decesare ldecesar at oeb.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 27 14:14:27 EDT 2004

I am hoping that someone on the list has had experience with something like
this.  Be warned though - this is kind of gross.  Just a quick note of
background.  I have 4 pigs, all sows, they have all been with me for 2 or
more years and have had no access to boars (unless they sneak out while I
am at work).

On Sunday afternoon I was just sitting down in our pigs enclosure with some
lettuce I picked from the garden when our youngest sow, Calypso, squeaked.
I looked over at her and she reached down as if a good B-12 poop was coming
and instead pulled out what looked like a glistening hunk of liver. She
seemed VERY interested in eating it (I had to pull her away twice) but I
got it away from her and she jumped out of the cage she was in, crossed
their enclosure, and started eating lettuce like nothing had happened. The
flesh was about the size of a large gum-ball, dark brownish maroon, and
very firm. There was no blood on the site or on her and we watched her all
Sunday night and there was no blood, no discomfort.

I called the emergency vet near us but they did not have an exotics vet on
call and our vet wasn't in either.  I held her for an hour or so on Sunday
late afternoon and it was as if nothing had happened.  She was able to
urinate and poop with no problem and no blood. All Monday and so far today
she is eating fine, everything seems to be normal.  It is so weird.  I feel
like if I had just been 5 minutes later coming over I wouldn't have even
known anything had happened.

First thing Monday morning we took her and the tissue to our regular vet
and she was mystified.  She thought it was afterbirth but when she found
out it would have been an immaculate conception she was a little
stumped.  She gave Calypso a full going over and nothing seemed wrong.  She
is guessing maybe an infection but admitted there seemed to be no signs.  I
am now working with Dr. Orcutt up at Angell Memorial to get an ultrasound
done but I wondered if anyone else had anything like this happen.  We are
worried although also bemused because she is running around talking up a
storm, stealing food from her sisters, and being a little cutie just like
normal.

If anyone has had ANY similar experience I would really appreciate hearing
about it.
Thanks!
Lisa D. and her 4 good Greek girls
Kisseis, Erytheia, Maia, and Calypso (the cannibal pig)