[Gpdd] HEalth: abcesses

Chizeck, Susan P chizeck at utdallas.edu
Tue Apr 27 16:30:10 EDT 2004

Last month my piggie Obie had a lump on her tummy that turned out to be
a lipoma, or fatty lump, which we decided to let alone.

So when I noticed a lump in a similar place on Mattie, I was not too
worried or in a hurry to go to the vet.  However we went on Saturday and
it turns out that Mattie has an infected lump, an abcess on his lower
tummy.  So he is on Baytril .  When they did the biopsy he cried
piteously and still cries when he thinks someone will touch him there.
I had noticed he wasn't quite as lively as before and obviously this is
the reason.  I've been giving him a bit of baby aspirin and chewable
blueberry flavored acidophilus tablets mixed with his oatmeal to make
him feel better.  Is there a probiotic for guinea pigs?  Luckily he's
still eating and pooping.  Any other advice for how to handle an abcess?

Susan P. Chizeck,