[Gpdd] Health - abcesses

Sharon Kendall sharonk908 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 20:02:40 EDT 2004

Hi -
My Piglet developed a jaw abscess vary quickly.  Friday night at 10 p.m., nowhere else to go but to the emergency clinic.  The drained it and sent us home with antibiotics and some kind of salve to keep the wound open, and I had to flush it out with water 2 times a day with a syringe.  Monday morning we followed up with our regular vet who informed me that the only way to handle this was to surgically remove the abcess and the sac containing it.  In the meantime we continued with antibiotics, pain med, salve and flushing it out.  Unfortunately, this was the beginning of the end for my baby.  He got real bad with various things and before we could get to surgery, we had to put him down.  It was terrible.  He also was over 5 years old.  If he was younger, he probably wouldn't have had the plethera of problems develop and I'm sure would have had surgery and been just fine.  Good luck.