[Gpdd] (Health) Fungal infection saga continues

Carrie Mazza mazza_carrie at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 12:37:41 EDT 2004

Hi all,
Some of you may remember some of my postings from a while back regarding my Sugar and his dry skin...which I now think may be a fungal infection.  When I pick at the spots a bit I can pull hair out with a flake of skin attached...which thanks to feedback from you all appears to be a fungal infection.  Well, I did some treatment with Nizoral (about 5 baths I would say over 2/3 weeks).  Although Sugar hated it (loved the blow-drying though!) it seemed to make this slightly better.  But in general, I think he still has it.  When I scratch him he is in ecstasy (which is actually quite cute) and it seems like he is always itching and scratching.  I just found a slice on him that looks like he gave himself from scratching (he lives alone and there is no sharp things in his cage) so I am pretty confident he is very itchy.  I have been to the vet twice about this issue over the past few months.  They do have a special interest in exotic pets (but they see dogs and cats too) and I really do like her...she seems to know her stuff about piggies.  So my dilemma is do I go back...or is this something that may flare up now and then and can I just keep treating as needed with the shampoo?  How serious can fungal infections get?  His hair doesn't fall out unless I pick at it...he doesn't have any bald patches or anything like I have seen described.  Any advice I'd appreciate!  Thanks!

Take care,
Carrie and a still itchy Sugar!