[Gpdd] Behavior: Re:New pig

Dawnda Stricklen dawndastricklen at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 08:27:56 EDT 2004

Hi Susan

There are some times that two pigs just absolutely
hate each other. I have had some like this. I am
keeping Ginger in a separate cube cage beside Jasmine
and Sabrina. They are fine that way. They touch noses
and eat together from the hay rack. With the cubes
between them of course. Take the wall away and it's
war!! They get in one of those death grip rolls with
the fur literally flying through the air. I've tried
them together in all kinds of places and they just
hate her, if she can get close enough to touch them. I
had to buy some more cubes and run a cage down the
side of theirs for Ginger, because she wants to be
with other pigs.

I had two that lived together for a year and one day
got into a big fight over food. Jasmine bit a big hole
in Teah's lip and blood was going everywhere! I just
walked in the other room and I heard them fighting.
They hated each other so bad from that day on that I
had to put a line of cubes down the middle of the
cage. They would even try to fight through the cubes.
One was always grabbing, shaking, and biting the
cubes. It seems once first blood is drawn, that's it!
Jasmine was at the bottom of the herd since she was
the last one bought. I think she wanted to move up and
she knew Teah was sick and decided to make her move.
Teah had diabetes and other problems and I had to put
her to sleep a couple months later. Jasmine now lives
with Sabrina and she hardly ever leaves her side.
Jasmine doesn't mind being below Sabrina in the herd.
Go figure!
As long as they are not biting and making places on
her, they may get used to her. I wouldn't leave them
alone together for a while though. They could gang up
on her and hurt her badly when you are not around.
They may just be making sure that she knows her place
at the bottom of the herd. Good luck!

Dawnda

=====
http://embark.to/guineapighaven