[Gpdd] [CARE]Shelters, Free Adds, and Teeth

DL1Bossfan at aol.com DL1Bossfan at aol.com
Sun Aug 1 11:08:36 EDT 2004

Hi Friends!
Hope this finds everyone "wheeking" happily.  I have 3 things to cover, I'll
try to keep it as short as possible. 1. Yesterday, I called the local humane
society to see if they had any piggies available, and low and behold they did.
(a male)  I grabbed my carrier and off I went.  When I got there (it's about a
15 min. drive), I went to the "CAT" room (yes, thats where they keep those
piggies - even though I have vented my feelings), and immediately found him.  He
was beautiful and for those of you who have seen pigtures of Leah's "Miss
Brownie Bear", his color and markings were similar.  Anyway, when I went in I had
noticed that the adoption lady was busy with a young girl & her mother, so I
talked to my new friend and held him.  All of a sudden, the young girl runs
out of the room and says "he's mine and we're taking him home".  My heart sank!
I was too late.  I asked the girl if she had ever had piggies before, and she
said no.  I even had to put him in their container because they were afraid
to handle him!  I did the best I could to give her a crash course in taking
care of the little fellow, but the mother said they had lots of animals and knew
what to do.  It seem to me that the shelter worker should have said something,
but I guess they can't or won't.  I am not a real quick thinker, but on the
way home I scolded myself thinking that maybe I should have offered to buy him
from his "new" owners.  I thought about him all night, and put him in my
prayers.  Maybe he will be okay - I just had my doubts.  I did however put my name
on a list to contact when they got some more piggies in.  I tried doing that
when I adopted G.I. Joe from there in April, but was told there was no such
list.  Apparently there is now!  2. Please, is there someone out there that can
fill me in on the dangers of getting a guinea pig out of the paper that
advertises "FREE TO A GOOD HOME"?  I think this was discussed a while back on the
digest, but I only caught "tail end" comments.  3.  Also, please help me out with
how to check for teeth problems. ( I've read of people having problems with
their g.p.'s teeth lately.)  Is this something only the vet can do?, or are
there some preventive steps you can take to insure that your cavies teeth are
o.k.?  Hope this wasn't too long, and thanks to all of you for your postings.  I
really learn alot through this wonderful site!
Piggy kisses to all!  Donna, Spike, and G.I. Joe