[Gpdd] HEALTH - Checking Teeth

Georgina.Wien at wintershall.com Georgina.Wien at wintershall.com
Fri Aug 6 07:55:57 EDT 2004

Hello pigs and people,
a few digests ago somebody asked about how to check a piggies teeth, I was
back in my reading, but haven´t seen any answers on that yet, so I thought
I throw in my routine.
In my opininion the best way on checking their teeth is regular weight
control, I know this sounds odd. Weight control and checking the piggies
front teeth should be incorporated in their weekly health check up. You can
easily check their front teeth by making the pggige smile (pulling back the
lips). If the front teeth are misaligned or irregalur there sometimes is an
underlying course with the back teeth. The combination of misaligned teeth
and weight loss is a sure sign for something being very wrong with the
tooth system. You can´t actually see the molars, but if you suspect
something is wrong you can try and feel thme by carefully inserting your
small finger into the piggies mouth, sideways of the front teeth. You can
then feel, if the molars are growing inwards.
If you suspect there is something wrong with your piggies teeth take them
to the vet, they have instruments, with which they can look at the molars.
Kind regards
Georgina