[Gpdd] BREEDING - PIGGYY BABIES

Robert Pollard bobpollard2000 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 05:25:18 EDT 2004

Dear Piggy Slaves,

I promised my daughter, Andrea, that we would buy two females guinea pigs to
replace the four which we previously owned who all passed on during last
year. The previous piggies were all purchased at the same time and had all
attained six years of age.

We bought two Abbyssinian females, Maisie and Daisy on 1st May and were told
they were 6 weeks old at that time.They were timid at first but soon settled
in to our routine, and called loudly when they heard Andrea each morning to
make sure she did'nt forget to feed them.

On 5th July Andrea went to the hutch on our patio at about 6pm to collect
the dishes to prepare their evening meal. She called urgently to me, " Dad,
quick, I've just seen something." Thinking that one of the piggies was hurt,
I rushed out, and she said "Look". When I looked into the hutch, Maisie and
Daisy were sitting in the main area of the hutch and peeping out from the
sleeping area was a tiny black and white face.

We  opened the door to the sleeping area and found three delightful babies,
which had been born to Maisie during the day.

After we got over the shock Andrea named them Patch (because of a patch over
one eye), Fluffy (for obvious reasons) and Dusty ( because he has a lot of
brown in his colouring).  We took photographs and Andrea showed them to all
her friends.

On thursday 7th July, Two days later, Daisy produced two babies which Andrea
named Tigger and Piglet after the Winnie the Pooh characters.

We moved them all indoors to a C&C run with two cardboard boxes as sleepng
areas, as the weather in the UK had been very poor recently ( wind and rain
most days) and because we can watch them easier indoors.

The local Vet had stated that he cannot determine the sex before a month
old, and as we were going on holiday for two weeks , leaving when they would
be three weeks old, we had a problem

Woiuld we be reasonably safe to leave them all together for four weeks or
should we try to determine the sex and separate them before? Luckily our
next door neighbour has a daughter who breeds piggies and she was able to
determine the sexes so that my son who was caring for them in our absence
could seperate them before we returned.

The youngsters arrival was a delight, but we don't want to repeat this too
soon.

Now I have to build a new Hutch to move the girls into as the boys are in
the old one.

Andrea, Bob, Maisie, Daisy and the youngsters.