[Gpdd] [BREEDING] <re: PIGGYY BABIES>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 14:08:44 EDT 2004

Hi Bob,
I really think you should consider getting a new vet.
Piggies absolutely can be sexed before they are a
month old and in fact its crucial that they are
because they can reproduce at three weeks of age. I'm
glad that you were able to sex them in time.
Unfortunately that happens so often that pet stores
sell people pigs that are pregnant. This is usually
because pet stores don't know enough about guinea pigs
to know that they can breed that early, and
unfortunately that also results in inbreeding. I
assume you don't know who the father of your
"grandpiggies" were, so I would encourage you for the
sake of health, and also because there might be a
piggie overpopulation problem in your area, not to
breed them. Make sure your pigsitter knows how to look
for signs of illness in pigs and has a vet's number on
hand. Also make sure that the girls/boys hutches are
not escapable! A pig in heat can be a great escape
artist. :)
~Lauren, slave to Piglet and Pooh Bear

=====
Tens of millions of healthy companion animals are euthanized each year in the U.S. Adopt a homeless pet. Have your pets spayed and neutered.

Join the Guinea Pig Rescue Transport Group!