[Gpdd] [CARE] Re: Timothy Hay vs. Timothy Cubes

cougar at simmons.edu cougar at simmons.edu
Sat Aug 14 13:41:17 EDT 2004

Timothy cubes are okay for a snack and useful as something to chew on (since
pigs always need something to chew), but I'm pretty sure they aren't large
enough to replace the bulk and the fiber that a pig gets from loose hay. It's
also dependent on the pig whether or not they will actually be consumed - the
few times I tried them with Niles, he occasionally gnawed them or tossed them
in the air, but mostly ignored them.

I'll put in another plug for Oxbow hay, which is fresh and green and wonderfully
scented, and tends to be fairly dust-free (for hay). They also ship direct to
your house, and while the shipping can be a bit steep, it means not having to
drive all over looking for a place that carries it. (http://www.oxbowhay.com)

Niles doesn't care for any hay other than Oxbow, and in time I've come to feel
the same way. Even hays that meet my approval are rejected by this picky pig!

Heather