[Gpdd] [behavior] the will of a piggie to survive...

Bob & Chris Robertson rssg at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 15 19:25:11 EDT 2004

Dear Slaves,

I have read so many postings on the board of dear piggies that have crossed
the bridge, and those that have bounced back.  I want to post my observation
as a long time lover and slave to these little ones.

In 1999 we lost our beloved Maxwell at the age of 4.  He had a small tumor
on his penis which we had removed.  The trauma was more that he could bear,
and within 5 weeks he was gone (that was with constant round-the clock
syringe feeding, and several treatments at the vet).  The poor little guy
just could not overcome his illness.

I really believe that God led us to Cleo.  When Max passed we were in the
process of moving.  I had no time to rescue a pig.  But I had met Annie, a
local gal who takes in piggies in need, and I had told her once we were
settled I could contact her to see the number she had in her "rescue herd".

Needless to say, we went to "look".  As I walked to the first cage (Annie
had several), Cleo came right to the door and demanded attention.  As I went
to move to the next cage she squealed at the top of her lungs, so I went
back, picked her up and said, "put her in the carrier, she is going home
with me."

Now Cleo was born as a result of a breeder that was not taking care of his
charges.  She was one of three in a litter.  Annie rescued Cleo's mom while
she was pregnant, and she allowed Cleo & sisters to be adopted after they
were born.  But the woman who took them did not care for them.  Thank
goodness, a person in the neighborhood emailed Annie to tell her the pigs
were in distress.  Annie went to check on the adoption and of the 3 girls
one was already dead, and Cleo and her sister were starving.

Cleo is 6 today.  She has survived the bad placement, an intestinal blockage
which should have killed her but my vet and I pulled her though, uterin and
cancer, and a tumor to her left shoulder.  All these things could have taken
her, but she is such a fighter, and looking forward to turning 7!

I write this because we did just as much for Max as we have done for Cleo.
But she has a constitution to beat the odds, to keep on going.  Not all of
our little ones, no matter how much they are loved have that in them.

When her time is over, I will always remember Cleo as a remarkable pig who
had such a determination to survive that she beat the odds.  Who knows, at 6
she may overcome again!

Warm wheeks to all the pigges,
Chris, Cleo & Spookie